September 18, 2011 5 Comments
Prior to this last week of summer fun, I posted a question on facebook, What does the word “vacation” mean to you?
Here’s some replies from the tiny world of my personal friends and family:
- No Dishes..No Laundry…oh and getting a pedicure! 🙂
- hmm.. Doing only what I want to do & when I want to do it.. No demands. Maybe a cruise where I sit back and do NOTHING & everything is done for me!! 🙂
- It means a pile up of work when I get back.
- no setting the alarm (if I stay home); packing as much as I can do into each day(if I’m travelling)
- Being able to take naps in the afternoon, and blow off a whole day without feeling guilty
- to quote the go-gos… “Vacation, all I ever wanted, Vacation, had to get away…”
For me – I relate to “the pile of work when I get back” which today included six hours of activity and three loads of laundry.
Webster online defines vacation as:
- a respite or a time of respite from something : intermission
- a : a scheduled period during which activity (as of a court or school) is suspended b : a period of exemption from work granted to an employee
- a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation <had a restful vacation at the beach>
- an act or an instance of vacating